A boy swallows a cursed talisman – the finger of a demon – and becomes cursed himself. He enters a shaman’s school to be able to locate the demon’s other body parts and thus exorcise himself.
Jujutsu Kaisen (Sorcery Fight, 呪術廻戦) Jujutsu Kaisen 2020
Before watching Jujutsu Kaisen, here is the synopsis:
High school student Yuuji Itadori, idly indulging in baseless paranormal rituals with the Occult Club, spends his days either in the clubroom or in the hospital, where he visits his grandfather in bed. This leisurely lifestyle, however, soon takes a turn for the weird when he finds a cursed object unknowingly.
Yuuji unexpectedly finds himself forced into the realm of Curses by a series of supernatural events, dreadful entities created by human malice and negativity.
He will relax and hang out with his seniors at the Occult Science Club, and leave school by 5:00 pm to visit his grandfather in the hospital. His grandfather instills two important messages inside Yūji as he is on his deathbed – “always help others and “die surrounded by people.
” Since the demise of his grandfather,”These messages are interpreted by Yūji as one assertion – everybody deserves a proper death”. He is then confronted by Megumi Fushiguro, a sorcerer who tells him at his school about a high-grade cursed charm talisman with which Yūji recently made contact.
The talisman, a rotting finger, was unsealed by his friends at the Occult Club, which attracted Curses to the school,creatures which are brought about by negative emotions and reinforced by consuming magical powers present in sorcerers or such charms.
Yūji swallows the finger to shield Megumi and his friends and becomes the host of Sukuna, a mighty Curse, unable to overcome the Curses due to his lack of magical abilities. All sorcerers are expected to immediately exorcise him (and by extension, Yūji) because of Sukuna’s evil nature.
Yūji is however still able to maintain control of his body for the most part, despite being possessed. Seeing this, Satoru Gojō, teacher to Megumi To suggests a proposal to his bosses, he agrees to take him to the Tokyo Metropolitan Magic Technical College – delay Yūji’s death sentence until he eats all the fingers of Sukuna, allowing them to kill him once and for all.
Background of the anime series Jujutsu Kaisen:
An anime television series adaptation was announced in the 52nd issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump published on November 25, 2019. The manga author Gege Akutami and the main cast members appeared at Jump Festa ’20 on December 22, 2019. The series was produced by MAPPA and directed by Sunghoo Park. Hiroshi Seko was in charge of the scripts, Tadashi Hiramatsu designed the characters.
The series ran for 24 episodes. From episode 3 onwards the series includes post-credits anime shorts titled “Juju Sanpo”, which focus on the daily lives of the characters.
The Jujutsu Kaisen anime was awarded “Anime of the Year” at the 2021 5th Crunchyroll Anime Awards, while Ryomen Sukuna won the “Best Antagonist” category and “Lost in Paradise feat. AKLO” by ALI won the “Best Ending Sequence” category.
In January 2021, it was revealed that the anime series was the second most-watched anime series on Crunchyroll in 2020, only second to Black Clover, being watched in 71 countries and territories, including North America, South, and Central America, Europe, Middle East, and North Africa, Africa, Asia, and Oceania.
The official music video of the series’ first opening, “Kaikai Kitan” by Eve, reached 100 million views on YouTube in April 2021, being one of the fastest anime openings to hit such a number of views.
Related Anime Jujutsu Kaisen:
|Other:||Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaikai Kitan|
|Prequel:||Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Movie|
All Characters of Jujutsu Kaisen:
Jujutsu Kaisen Main Characters:
Satoru Gojou (五条 悟)
Yuuji Itadori (虎杖 悠仁)
Nobara Kugisaki (釘崎 野薔薇)
Megumi Fushiguro (伏黒 恵)
Jujutsu Kaisen Side Characters:
- Sukuna Ryoumen (両面 宿儺)
Toge Inumaki (狗巻 棘)
Kento Nanami (七海 建人)
Maki Zenin (禪院 真希)
Aoi Toudou (東堂 葵)
Watch a video about All 23 Jujutsu Sorcerers Powers & Abilities Explained! – Jujutsu Kaisen:
Reviews of anime Jujutsu Kaisen:
1.Review of Jujutsu Kaisen:
Let me start by giving JJK’s staff the appreciation they deserve. Being a huge AoT fan, I’m honestly a little bit salty. I’m not undermining AoT, it’s just that my eyes have been spoiled from seeing a sakuga on every damn episode of Jujutsu Kaisen. It’s honestly just so good.
So yes, I’m gonna first highlight the sector which totally carries JJK, the animation. Jujutsu Kaisen is a feast for your eyes. The animation is just so magnificent, starting from the beautiful landscapes to the sakuga on even the smallest fights. The fights are so well choreographed, the camera angles, the keyframes. I don’t have enough words to explain the greatness of the animation.
One other great thing about Jujutsu Kaisen is its power system. If you’re like me who absolutely loves a great power system, then you’ll also fall in love with Jujutsu Kaisen’s power system. Jujutsu Kaisen has a very concrete power system, which is cursed energy. Cursed energy kind of replicates Chakra from Naruto. Both need a good amount of focus and training to achieve them.
The characters are probably the second greatest part of the anime. Yuuji is such a good shounen protagonist, he isn’t annoying and doesn’t scream all the time, is quite carefree. On the other hand, the other members of the MC trio are just so fun to watch, Fushigoro and Nobara both. I’d be lying if I said that it didn’t remind me of Naruto a little bit.
The character goals are really interesting, which also makes the characters, interesting. Yuuji isn’t like other shounen nice guys who refuse to kill people like Deku, he has an actual reason to do that. He highly commends “the value of life”. He also does good deeds because he wants to die peacefully and be remembered as a good person, quite a simple but respectable goal.
Let me tell you this, an entire paragraph isn’t enough to explain how amazing and interesting the characters are.
The only part Jujutsu Kaisen is a bit lacking in is the story. Since it’s only season 1 and the story hasn’t expanded much, but even still, the story is a bit generic. It feels like a typical monster of the week kind of story. Even the story is a bit average now, all other aspects carry this anime. And yes, the story switches tones really quick, it goes from a dark and gritty tone to a light-hearted tone pretty fast. And the best part is that they perfectly execute it.
No one said that an anime must excel at all aspects. There was no boring moment in the entire anime, despite the story being typical, I always thoroughly enjoyed it. The Juju Strolls are a perfect addition after the end of every episode, no matter how tense an episode is, the Juju Strolls are entertaining to watch.
Now about sound, it’s amazing. The 2 opening sequences and ending sequences are all so amazing. Especially the amazing opening from Eve and the great ending from ALI. After that, there’s the voice acting. Most people can’t differentiate between good voice acting and bad voice acting, but I have noticed that a good amount of anime often fails at properly delivering dialogues.
Another thing that I need to separately mention is the eye-catchers. If you don’t know what eye-catchers are, they are that intro-type of clips that are often in the middle of an episode. Jujutsu Kaisen’s eye-catchers are so captivating, they have this horror-y feeling to it.
Now to sum it all up in one sentence: Jujutsu Kaisen is great.
Jujutsu Kaisen has to be one of the greatest new-gen shounen. As for whether you should watch it or not- YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD. I don’t always tell people so confidently to watch an anime. It is the start of a new era through Jujutsu Kaisen, and I’m damn interested to see where it’s gonna go from here. See you all in the next season!
2.Review of Jujutsu Kaisen:
○ A short introduction to the story:
So, we start off with our main character Yuji Itadori. A guy who is living an average life of an average teenager. He is passionate about his interests and mainly participates in the activities of the so-called occult club consisting of three members.
One day they come across a cursed item wrapped in the paper without realizing and wouldn’t you guess it? Of course, they have to keep it and later on they take off the wrap. Attempting to do some kind of a ritual, they summon dangerous cursed spirits while Yuji is at the hospital with his grandpa who just died.
• Yuji gets over his grandpa’s death in no time.
The main intention of Yuji is to have a meaningful death. After his grandfather died with nobody but Yuji surrounding and worrying about him, he gets an example of a “lonely death” and the whole series is motivated by it.
But how is he able to get over it so fast? In 4 minutes or less. Just when Megumi shows up it’s like nothing happened and the rest of the series nothing is mentioned about it.
The pacing is fast. Too many events occur in the first episode which they could have given a bit more time in the second episode but in the second half of the show, it’s pretty slow and gets boring. So, the pacing is off.
• Yuji’s motto: a meaningful death.
I don’t often use the word; in fact, I have never used it before in such a case but pretentious would be the best way to describe it.
I can feel how the show is trying to stand out with its “unique” complex concerns and distinguish itself from other generic shonen yet it fails and comes off laughable. Yes, it tries to impress you with its touching themes and inspire you through the attempt is so obvious it’s ridiculous.
‣ Plot-wise, Jujutsu Kaisen is just another average shonen. It offers nothing new to the plate so that I can enjoy and get excited while tasting it. The main goal, if I haven’t made it clear, is acquiring all of Sukuna’s 20 fingers, the one he ate. Now Sukuna is incarnated in him and can take over his body from time to time – 2/10.
The power system has been praised by many but there is nothing particular about it. Sure, it doesn’t go with an idiotic system that other shows do (I am looking at you MHA) but it isn’t that exceptional either. I will explain is short:
• The cursed spirits (also known as curses) are produced by cursed energy which is created when an individual has negative emotions but it’s also possible to use cursed energy in battles to fight against your opponent. Cursed spirits are evil creatures that mess with human emotions and receive power from them.
Grade 4 sorcerers are weak and inexperienced.
Grade 3 sorcerers are average students.
Grade 2 sorcerers are for those who are above average level.
Grade 1 sorcerers are high-status ones who possess great strength.
Special grades are exceptionally strong and abnormal. (Gojou Satoru for instance)
‣ Overall, the power system is good and worthy of 6/10.
Characters of Jujutsu Kaisen are a bit hard to talk about. The main characters are dull while the side ones are truly great and relatable.
The main characters:
• Yuji Itadori – The main protagonist of the series. His life drastically changes after encountering cursed items and is now forced to face many difficulties regarding them. He is passionate about his interests and doesn’t share many characteristics with other shonen protagonists yet still comes off annoying. He is overpowered (I know you are tired of this word but I have to point it out) and “funny”.
• Nobara Kugisaki – The deuteragonist of the series and she shares many interests with Yuji. They both love Tokyo, going out, sightseeing and etc. Nobara is a very confident character who is not afraid to fangirl of stuff but still stands still as a strong female. To be honest, the reason I dislike her is pretty similar to Yuji’s. And she definitely isn’t the best girl of the series– 3/10.
• Megumi Fushiguro – Another deuteragonist of the series. Unlike our Tokyo lovers, Megumi is a serious guy and doesn’t like to act stupid. He is fortunately not an apathetic character, which I expected him to be but I was surprised.
• Gojo Satoru– deuteragonist of the series and as you might have heard, the cool, lively Gojo-sensei. I expected to like him but didn’t. He is just another OP, generic sensei but nothing similar to Kakashi. It’s just the way he can deal with everything and beat everyone easily, and then his playful personality irritates me and stops me from liking him – 2/10.
The side characters:
• Maki Zenin– the side character and undoubtedly the best girl of course. Maki has a funny, relatable protagonist but as soft as she might seem, she is actually a really strong lady. Yea, she might be overpowered but so many other great characteristics of making you love her a lot and again, Maki Zenin is the best girl of Jujutsu Kaisen, no one can deny that or else I am ready to throw some hands – 8/10.
• Panda – a side character. My beloved panda. He is such a lovable character with such a sweet personality I just can’t help but mention him and give him the attention he deserves. He is a calm upperclassman who tends to be welcoming and kind to his underclassmen. Sometimes he might be sarcastic but always tries to sympathize with characters and understand their feelings. I really love him – 9/10.
• Aoi Tondou – another side character and my man. Aoi is the main entertainment of the show, at least for me. He doesn’t get a too big amount of screen time but not too little either so you could say it’s a decent amount for a side character. He likes to fight people who have shit taste in women, like Megumi for example who cares about the personality. But he likes Yuji because they share the same interest and both like women with big a**es. Yup, my man has great taste and there is no denying it – 7/10.
• Toge Inumaki – Salmon. Toge is a quiet guy and a bit intimidating at first look, whatsoever he is still a great character with a great personality – 5/10.
• Kasumi – right after Maki, Kasumi is the best girl. She is a helpless character. Tries to stand still and fight, do her best and achieve the greatest but mostly fails, and it’s relatable. I loved every scene that she was in, I was able to be compassionate towards so a solid – 9/10.
• Villains – in Jujutsu Kaisen are interesting. I will describe them shortly. Sukuna is the main antagonist whose fingers the group has to acquire so Yuji can eat all of them at once. He reminds me of Gojou for some reason. They share playful personalities, both are overpowered, yet they both feel different in some way. Suguru is also a very interesting character though I don’t have much to say about him. Mahito can burn in hell, I will be watching with a happy smile on my face. Overall villains get a 6/10.
‣ Character in Jujutsu Kaisen are funny. Putting main ones and side ones together, we get – 6.5/10.
‣ Animation is god-tier. I don’t know why I was denying that fact but it really does a great job with the dark atmosphere and conveying the horrific elements the show has to offer. There are a lot of fighting scenes and in every single one fighting choreography and animation are distinguishable. Openings and endings are a banger. I like the OST; it matches the atmosphere a lot. There is nothing to complain about in this criteria so – 9/10.
Jujutsu Kaisen was a well-done shonen, it still calls for many adjustments to be great but I won’t withhold and state that it has many pros as well. With well-written side characters, amazing soundtracks, god-tier animation, and fighting choreography, I won’t dissuade someone from checking it out, as for myself, I wasn’t necessarily blown away, it was the first season so it didn’t manage to confound me but what can I say, folks? It wasn’t that bad after all.
I have made a lot of changes to the review since the last one I wrote got a lot of upvotes and made it to the top reviews which were unexpected since I wrote it a few hours after the show finished and the reviews were already published. I also realized I was being too harsh on it and how badly the previous review was written so I hope it doesn’t irritate any of you.
Can’t decide what to watch?
You couldn’t make a choice which anime you want to watch right now and Jujutsu Kaisen isn´t it? Anime1st has done all the work for you, you can visit our blog posts to discover short articles ideas about which animes are the best, according to your taste.
Otherwise, you can visit our anime list, to discover the best animes, in drama, adventures, action, romance, comedy, sci-fiction, fantasy, horror, and many other genres that will fascinate you with the stories, the characters, and the performance, just in one place, ANIME1ST, the best online streaming anime website for free, and with exclusive content every day.
And don’t forget to follow us now!